CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND DOWNLOAD KXCI PROSPECTIVE BOARD MEMBER ELECTION NOMINATION INFORMATION AND FORM for 2018
Each year, KXCI members elect three of their fellow members to seats on the KXCI Board of Directors. Each seat is for one 3-year term. Officially, anyone who is a member of KXCI in good standing for 30 days prior to their nomination can be elected to the Board, with the exception of paid employees of the Foundation for Creative Broadcasting. Generally speaking, the Board is composed of individuals who can put forth the effort to sustain and grow a viable Community Radio station. Helpful backgrounds include experience on other nonprofit boards, in fundraising and development, technology, broadcast, accounting, human resources and the law. The primary requirement for being a successful Board member, however, is a love for Community Radio.
The purpose of this sheet is to introduce you to what it is like to be on the Governing Board of Directors at KXCI. Please read through the information contained here. If you have questions, please contact Executive Director Cathy Rivers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520- 623-1000, ext. 12, or contact the station for information to contact a member of our board of directors.
Completed forms are due at the KXCI Studios, 220 S 4th Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85701 by 5pm, Friday, June 1, 2018
Officially, anyone who is a member of KXCI in good standing for 30 days prior to their nomination can be elected to the Board, with the exception of paid employees of the Foundation for Creative Broadcasting. Generally speaking, the Board is composed of individuals who can put forth the effort to sustain and grow a viable Community Radio station. Helpful backgrounds include experience in fundraising and development, technology, community events, accounting, human resources and the law. The primary requirement for being a successful Board member, however, is a love for Community Radio.
Please review the KXCI Board of Directors Job Description to fully understand what is expected of potential Board members. Board members serve a three-year term, and must regularly attend board meetings. The Board of Directors currently meets monthly in Tucson, and meetings generally run up to two hours. Future meeting times may change, but meetings are currently held on the 4th Thursday of the month. There are also occasional special meetings of the board, and committee meetings, which board members are expected to attend.
Board members are expected to talk with other board members, staff and volunteers on a regular basis to foster communication and to better serve the station and the community. Board members assist at KXCI events, which may include membership drives, outreach event booths and concerts. Not every board member can or is expected to assist with every station event, but regular participation is encouraged.
Board members are expected to help guide the organization and the radio station in general fiscal oversight, policy management, and in the review of the general manager.
In all, board members can expect to put in at least five hours a month in carrying out their duties. This number varies depending on the time of the year and the dedication and availability of the Board member.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS JOB DESCRIPTION
KXCI Board Members must understand the mission of the organization and KXCI’s invaluable role in the community as an independent radio resource in the greater Tucson area.
KXCI Mission Statement: Connecting the communities of Tucson and Southern Arizona to each other and to the world with informative, engaging and creative community-based programming.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- GENERAL GOVERNANCE:
- Oversee Foundation for Creative Broadcasting by addressing and defining the vision, values, policies, and strategic initiatives, objectives and goals of the organization and holding the Executive Director and other staff accountable for implementation of such.
- Develop policy to define how the Board will operate.
- Assure the Board and station remains within established policy.
- Board of Directors have a fiduciary duty to the members and the organization.
Directors will be held to high standards of good faith, fair dealing, and loyalty regarding the organization.
PARTICIPATION IN BOARD ACTIVITIES
- TIME COMMITMENT AND ATTENDANCE GUIDELINES
- New members must complete an orientation prior or immediately following joining the Board.
- Attend and participate in Board meetings on the fourth Thursday of the month at 5:45pm
- Absences (both excused and unexcused) at three or more meetings annually may result in termination from the Board.
- Attendance at the annual Board retreat is mandatory.
ACTIVE BOARD PARTICIPATION
- Act as a voting member in developing and approving strategic initiatives, objectives, and goals, as well as approving the budget, which provide the framework and direction within which operations must be carried out. Assure fiscal responsibility through reviewing operations and evaluating results.
- Participate in a strategic planning process held every three to four years.
- Participation on at least one active Board committee, with service on other committees encouraged.
- Participation on the finance committee is strongly recommended for all new Board members.
- Identify potential Board members who can contribute to the diversity of the Board, provide skills necessary for the Board to conduct business, and support and further the mission of the station
- Agree to make an annual contribution to the foundation and to identify at least three potential donors a year.
- Board members must maintain an active membership status throughout their term.
- Board members should prioritize and support KXCI as one of their top three philanthropic charities.
- Board members must participate in fundraising and development through one or more of these avenues: ASK, ADVOCATE, and ACQUIRE. ASK (solicit) donations, sponsors, and potential board members on behalf of the station. ADVOCATE for membership and support of the station. ACQUIRE financial support for the station at any and all levels.
- Help identify marketing and ambassadorship opportunities to expand community support for the station (including underwriting).
- Operate within the policies and procedures for Board members and the station.
- Abide by the station’s Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics.
- Represent the station in a professional and ethical manner.
- A Board Member is elected or appointed for a three-year term (or shorter due to attrition), and may serve for two consecutive terms.
- Board Members are expected to participate actively in Board discussions and decisions. Prepare for Board meetings by reviewing agendas, minutes, staff reports and financial documents prior to board meetings.
- Support the decisions of the majority of the Board of Directors.
- Interpret and promote the mission of the organization, within and without, to raise awareness and support of the station.
- Understand the necessity for and keep the Board’s work confidential until such time as it is released to the general public.
- Abstain from any action that might lead to a conflict of interest (see policy).
- All Board of Directors must be a current member of KXCI Community Radio for thirty days prior to their nomination.
- All Board of Directors should have an interest, knowledge, and understanding of our community and its resources.
- It is strongly suggested that nominated board candidates attend at least one Board meeting prior to their application.
Foundation for Creative Broadcasting / KXCI Radio 2018 Board of Directors Election Nomination Form
Return completed form to the KXCI Studios, 220 S 4th Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85701 by 5pm, Friday, June 1, 2018